With work completed at the yard, the boat was relocated back to her normal slip for stepping of the refurbished mast, final fit out and running of her lines.
With that done, she was ready to hit the water.

A Savage is born!

With work completed at the yard, the boat was relocated back to her normal slip for stepping of the refurbished mast, final fit out and running of her lines.  
With that done, she was ready to hit the water.

But wait! …… we had a problem.  

The name Redshift had not been properly expunged and Savage had not had her credentials presented to the mighty ruler of the deep, Poseidon, nor to the Lords of the four winds.  We dared not take her out until that was done.

A name changing ceremony was arranged.  

Poseidon was called upon to witness the purging of the name Redshift from the records of the deep and an ingot bearing that name was committed to the ocean …. along with quite a lot of rum.

Poseidon was again called upon to witness the bestowing of the name Savage and through champagne and rum implored to protect her with his mighty arm and trident.  

We then called on the great Lords of the winds: Boreas (the North Wind); Zephyrus (the West Wind); Eurus (the East Wind); and, Notus (the great Southern Wind) to grant Savage the use of their mighty breath and to spare her the scourge of their wroth.  Much champagne and rum was sacrificed in their honor.

With the denizens of the deep and the lords of the winds appeased, Savage’s name was unveiled … with lots of champagne and rum ….

With works and formalities out of the way, Savage really was ready to hit the water.  We had also found her a new home (with a bar) so decided that her first sail would be from there, however, we would have to put her in the water and motor there first.  It did not start well …..

No problem getting her into the water.

No problem getting her off her trailer.  

No problem getting her underway.

Big problem keeping her afloat!  She was sinking!

A quick check down below confirmed that a bung had not been placed in the open through hull fitting where the log should be (instruments were still on order).  Bung installed, problem averted, off she headed, if a little low in the water.

At her new home and now free of any water inside, the sails were brought onboard.  The skies were clear, the forecast was for 6 to 12 knots (the champagne and rum sacrificed to the Lords of the winds had been well spent!) and the crew were onboard.  We cast off the lines in perfect conditions and headed out for her first sea trial.

We had already test fitted the new Jib and BR0 (Blast Reaching Zero) but had not test fitted the new big square top main.  Ohhh well, no time like the present – up she went and f.ck me it was huge! Bearing away we were pleased to see that the new split backstay system worked largely as planned (a minor tweak or two would be required). As we came down to a reach, we were already doing 7 knots in about that much breeze … with just the main. “Take it easy to start”, we agreed, so practiced gybing down wind and tacking up wind a few times with just the main.  

Having pretty much mastered that and identified that the foot of the main was just a little bit too long for the boom (a shim on the goose neck would be required) we hoisted the Jib.  The sail was perfect!

It took us a little bit of time to get use to the flying jib rings, but once our groove was locked in, we had the boat moving nicely.  We were happily maintaining 7 knots upwind in about 12 knots of breeze and in the double numbers when reaching.

A great first day!  Except for the sinking bit of course.  Feeling that we had achieved, we decided to head back in to review what we had learned over a beer (did I mention her new home had a bar? I meant a proper bar with beer and stuff).

Day two of Savage’s sea trials saw similar conditions forecast.  It would be a BR0 day! Up went the big beautiful main, up went the jib and up went the BR0 rolled snuggly on its furler.  We were reaching along in about 8 knots of breeze almost matching wind speed.

DEPLOY!

The BR0 slid out smoothly, loads came onto lines (quite a bit actually) and off the boat took.  We were easily doing double digits in 8 knots of breeze. Tweaking tensions on the tack line to even up the loads between the forestay and that on the BR0 saw the boat finding a very nice groove.  As the wind started to fill in, the boat started to lift her bow (helped by us all crowding aft) and away she went. Top speed was a little over 14 knots in about 12 knots of breeze. Even better, we got video footage (even if it is a bit grainy).

After putting the boat through these first tests and identifying several areas we were could improve the way we sail the boat, as well as improvements we could introduce to her systems, we headed back to the bar (ehmmmm slip) and over a beer declared:

A SAVAGE HAS BEEN BORN!